- M.Ellman, PLANNING PROBLEMS IN THE USSR. The contribution of mathematical economics to their solution
(Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1973). An Italian translation was published in 1979 and Hungarian & Russian translations were made in the 1970s for internal official use.
- M.Ellman, Did the agricultural surplus provide the resources for the increase in investment during the First Five Year Plan?
Economic Journal December 1975. Italian summary Mercurio June 1976, Russian translation Вопросы Экономики [Voprosy ekonomiki] January 1992.
- M.Ellman, The fundamental problem of socialist planning,
Oxford Economic Papers July 1978.
- M.Ellman, Transformation, depression and economics: some lessons,
Journal of Comparative Economics August 1994. Reprinted in P.G.Hare & J.R.Davis (eds) Transition to the market economy (London: Routledge, 1997) vol.1.
- M.Ellman, The increase in death and disease under ‘katastroika’,
Cambridge Journal of Economics 1994 no.4.
- M.Ellman & V.Kontorovich (eds) The destruction of the Soviet economic system: an insiders’ history
(New York: M.E.Sharpe, 1998).
- M.Ellman, The 1947 Soviet famine and the entitlement approach to famines
Cambridge Journal of Economics September 2000. Russian translation Экономическая история [Ekonomicheskaya istoriya]. Ежегодник 2005 [Ezhegodnik 2005] (Moscow: 2005).
- M.Ellman (ed) Russia’s oil and natural gas: Bonanza or curse?
(London: Anthem, 2006).
- M.Ellman, The political economy of Stalinism in the light of the archival revolution,
Journal of Institutional Economics vol 4 no.1, April 2008.